LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was just informed by my pharmacist when trying to fill a

Customer Question

I was just informed by my pharmacist when trying to fill a prescription that my insurance had been cancelled - as of September 30th. I have insurance through my employer (this is a new company insurer as of July 1, 2015). I never received any notice from
the insurance company via mail. Last month, I called the insurance companies customer support to complain about a excessive charge on a lab test. They sent me paperwork to file a grievance. During the course of the conversation I was quite testy with the rep.
I said something to the effect of "this is typical of the sociopathic corporate CEO's running America these days, covering less & less, and trying to squeeze every penny out of their customer. I'm just wondering if there is any connection there? Could the
insurance company cancel my coverage just because of what was said? There were no threats at all, just that comment. I'm a 63 year old mail with an extensive health history, with multiple surgeries the past three years. I' can't contact the insurance company
until Monday. Please advise. Mike xxxx***@******.*** xxx-xxx-xxxx
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Mike, Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. No, they could not. It is not a legal basis to terminate the coverage and for them to do that, there needs to be a basis to support it. With that being said, this has to be one of two things. The first, an issue with payment of the monthly premium. However, if it was past due, you would have received notice in mail and been contacted prior to the policy being terminated. Since you did not, I would assume there was some internal error between your employer and the insurance company. It can be corrected and in the event that there truly is a problem and you lost coverage, through no fault of your own, you would qualify to enroll in a new place, based upon this life event. It would be applied for and retroactive to Oct 1 as well

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!