Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Legally what is suspension of imposition of sentence and

Customer Question

Legally what is suspension of imposition of sentence and does it mean that you were ordered jailed time but it was suspended?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

"Suspension of imposition of sentence" means that the Defendant is placed on probation and is not actually incarcerated. If the Defendant violates probation, the Judge has the right to then sentence them to incarceration within the full range of punishment for the crime. If the defendant successfully completes probation, no incarceration is ordered.

A "suspended" jail time means that while the Court would ordinarily order incarceration for that amount, it is not doing so now. This goes hand in hand with suspension of imposition of sentence. If the Defendant violates probation during the probation period however, the Defendant is likely to have to serve the remainder of that sentence.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!