Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I'm wondering what the process is to have medical records

Customer Question

I'm wondering what the process is for petitioning to have medical records sealed (specifically, psych records for my wife). She is unable to be taken seriously whenever she goes to the doctor for pain, and her records do not reflect the person she is now (we've been married for 3 years). I'm working on a letter to the state governor and my US senator. How do I go about this? Is there a way to do this through the courts? She gets labelled as a drug-seeker every time she has a legitimate problem she is seeking care for because of her past medical history from when she was a child.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, she cannot have her medical records sealed. Her health care providers need access to the records in order to provide proper care to her. It would be medical malpractice for her new providers not to inquire about her history before providing care to her.