socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I'm just reading your comments on excessive dog barking. My

Customer Question

hi Sam, I'm just reading your comments on excessive dog barking. My neighbor's dog has been barking for hours on end the past two days. I just went by to ask for some action on it.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Practically every county in California has an animal control ordinance and division of the sheriff's office. The typical fine for a barking dog is: 1st time -- warning; second time -- $100; third time $1,000; 4th time -- removal of the dog.

So, the first thing to do is contact animal control and make a formal complaint. You could also sue the neighbor for nuisance in small claim court. But, you can only get monetary damages -- the small claims court cannot order the neighbor to stop the dog from barking. So, this approach may not actually solve your problem.

Those are really the only two options.

PS. Re the comments that you read, I have no idea who originally wrote the article, nor whether or not it's accurate. I do know that my answer is accurate, because I practice law in California, and I've dealt with this issue in the past.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!