Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Lien Sale of Abandoned Motor Vehicle in my condominium

Customer Question

Lien Sale of Abandoned Motor Vehicle in my condominium garage (my deeded parking space).
I allowed an ex-boyfriend to temporarily store a car in my parking space in San Francisco for a verbally specified 3 month period, and that time frame is now exceeded by 3 months. I've sent 2 monthly emails notifying him that it needed to be moved out. In the second email I specified it needed to be moved within 2 weeks. I've noted that the registration has expired and my HOA has given me 2 notices to have the registration updated or the car removed. Although I never asked for money in exchange for storing the vehicle, do I have legal standing to establish a lien on the vehicle under California Civil Code Section 3072?
I am looking for a specific response based on California law.
Thank you in advance for any advice.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

No, you do not because there was not agreement for storage fees. See California Civil Code Section 3046-3066 especially Section 3051:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=03001-04000&file=3046-3066

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Just so I understand, section 3051 of the Civil Code excludes vehicles and refers to section 18007 of the Vehicle Code for this matter? I

Kindly clarify?