Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I just received a call from the US federal grant dept.

Customer Question

I just received a call from the US federal grant dept. wanted to give an 8,000 grant for free to be transacted at a Walmart store, a 250.00 transaction fee to receive a pin number for the federal reserve bank to release the funds to Walmart for payment, the 250.00 is refunded in the payment of 8,250.00.Is this a scam?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

As you know, something which is too good to be true is, generally, not. Also, I am sure you suspect this is one of those times. Unfortunately, I am absolutely sure that there is no prize waiting for you from these people.

This is positively a scam. It is known as an "Advance Fee Scam". We see this scenario, or similar ones, dozens of times a day. There is absolutely no reason for you to send any money to them or to open accounts. If they were genuinely holding money belonging to you then they could just deduct any fees and send you the net amount.

The sole purpose of the email and other correspondence is to fraudulently induce you to send money. Once you do, there will be increasing requests for more money until you refuse. At that point, they will disappear and you will no longer be able to find them.

Do not sent them money or continue this correspondence. They are trying to steal from you.

I realize this is not the answer you were hoping to receive. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?