Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

A woman I met on a dating site who falsely portrayed herself

Customer Question

a woman I met on a dating site who falsely portrayed herself as 19 recently revealed to me that she was 15 and wants me to text her cellphone she was very hurt that I didn't want to do this if I continue the conversation in a non sexual way is this legal...
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

There is no crime whatsoever in having a non-sexual conversation with a minor, even if you don't know them in real life.

That said, I would be very careful, as there are many scammers out there who will lure you in and try to turn the conversation in a sexual nature, then reveal their true age, at which point they may blackmail you. I'm not saying that's the case here, but it is something you should be aware of.