Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can I be arrested at home without being shown an arrest

Customer Question

Can I be arrested at home without being shown an arrest warrant for charges on previous days at a Target store where I was never stopped and asked about shoplifting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Review Legal Documents + Write Legal Documents + Legal Discussion by Email + Legal Research on Case Law, Codes, etc.. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that legally the police do not have to show someone an arrest warrant prior to arresting them. The fact that there is a warrant issued is all that is necessary for them to make the arrest. In court the arrest warrant and the application for the arrest warrant would have to be shown and the probable cause in that warrant may be challenged.

In order to have a valid warrant, they have to demonstrate in court that there was probable cause for the warrant, which is that it is more likely than not that you committed the offense that you are accused of committing based on the evidence available at the time of the warrant being issued.