Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I had teamed up with someone to start a side project. the

Customer Question

Hi -
I had teamed up with someone to start a side project. the person chose to give up/walk out (and we're not on speaking terms)
- he registered the URL (I bought) wrongly under his personal name (vs. company name)
- i'm the sole owner of the company
- he ignored all my requests for releasing log-ins and for domain transfer
-> I asked the email provider (1and1) to transfer the domain.
--> I"m told they can't since the original registration is not under the company name
what can I do to get my own URL back?
what can I accuse him off (infringement?; corporate damage, lost income?).
every day this delays the launch of the website...I'm loosing money (miss opportunity to make money).
what are the steps to get a court order?
and can I get help to send my ex partner a letter by a lawyer as first step (hoping that will get him to response)
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If he has breached his agreement with you and he has taken the URL in his name in breach of his agreement, the to get it back you have to sue in the local court to get a court order to return the domain name. The action is called a Petition for Replevin, to recover your property. If the URL belongs to your company and it is a C-corp, S-corp or LLC, then you must have an attorney represent the company and file the suit against him to recover the property and also for the damages caused your company for him taking the domain.

We cannot represent anyone from this site, so you are going to need to get a local attorney to represent your company on this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you help me draft s letter (to send to court) and something I could share with a local lawyer (to submit to court) to safe time & money?

I am afraid that is illegal as it is against state law and we appreciate you understanding and respecting that for the sake of the experts.