Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have a public defender in a dui case. It's my second dui

Customer Question

I have a public defender in a dui case. It's my second dui in 6 years. I live in Philadelphia PA. Am I good with the PD or should I seek private counsel?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

A public defender is a qualified attorney, and should do you as good of a job as a private lawyer. Public Defenders get a bad reputation because they don't have as much time to spend on each case due to the caseload......and their win/loss record is probably worse than a private lawyer because they can't pick their clients and cases. In other words, a private lawyer is more likely to take on cases that he/she thinks can be won, while a public defender has to take anything assigned to him/her.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Thus, you shouldn't worry that you're getting a sub-par lawyer by going with a public defender.....because you likely aren't. However, if you conference with the public defender and feel like he/she doesn't have enough time available to spend on your case, you could always consider hiring a private lawyer at that point.