Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I live in an Assisted Living facility in Hackensack, Mn. In

Customer Question

I live in an Assisted Living facility in Hackensack, Mn. In February, I received a letter from the owner of this building asking me to move out. No reason. At the end of the 30 days he gave me to vacate I responded with a letter stating that I had no intention of moving. This made him angry because I put him down by refusing to leave.
He snuffled around until my May rent check (made out to him) was not deposited. And the June, July and August rent checks have not been deposited, and I am quite sure the September check will join the others. Why? I haven't any idea! But you can be sure he thinks it is a great idea.
I have been in contact with Legal Aid and they are just as lost for any sense as I am
Now, I feel this is harassment and would like to file a suit and get the money back. Or if he wants to give me the building we all live in I would take that.
Do I have a case and should I pursue the matter?
Beeda Godfrey ***@******.*** 84 years old and in fair health But still mentally quite strong!
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Are you still living in the building?

.

How did you pay the rent for May to August, did you mail it in or deliver it personally?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally I am getting back to you. I amstill living in the building and the total is now 5months
Iamseriously considering small claims court for the total amount, $3802.60. Harassment. There is another matter, $1580.00 but I can only handle one case at a time. I'll get to that one another time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The checks are dropped in a box on the wall. I have sent him a confirmation letter. (re the reciept of the checks) I have had no response.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if you have paid all the rent that you owe each month on time but the landlord hasn't cashed the checks then that is his issue to deal with.

.

You would have proof through your bank records showing the uncashed check number each month to prove that you did write a check to the landlord.

.

Why he isn't cashing the checks I can't say but you need to make sure that the money is in the account to cover them all should he try and cash them all at once.

.

But a judge is not going to consider it harassment if he just isn't cashing the checks....

.

.

thanks.