Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I am a private fitness trainer. I have been training this

Customer Question

I am a private fitness trainer. I have been training this client since early this year and all of a sudden he wants a full refund. Is there an act that protects me ? As I train clients I turn away others due to time slots already full.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You're protected by general principles of contract law. Life doesn't come with a money-back guarantee, and contrary to popular belief, there's no general right to a refund if you're not satisfied. If I order a pizza and I don't like it, but I eat it anyway, I don't get my money back. And if I meet with a trainer for personal training, then I have to pay for the trainer's time that I used. The ONLY exception would be if you put a satisfaction guaranteed clause of some sort in your contract, which I assume you didn't do because it would make no sense in your line of work.

You could arguably be required to give him a refund for UNUSED sessions, if the contract says that you have to. But legally, as long as you are willing and able to provide the physical training sessions, you have no legal obligation to give his money back. If he were to file a lawsuit, he would lose. You don't have to prove that he doesn't get a refund - he has the burden of proving why he shouldn't have to pay you. And there's no basis for that in anything you've said.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.