Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Last year I rented a bulldozer use on property I own. While

Customer Question

Last year I rented a bulldozer for private use on property I own. While in use it broke. The rental was from a local john Deere dealer and there was no signed rental agreement. I called and they delivered the sizer without a contract. When I was billed
for the rental period I used it for I paid everything including an insurance premium. That was last June. Around this time last year I received a letter from a subrogation company wanting me to pay 2500 plus 1000 deductible for the damage they said I did.
I wrote a detailed letter to the subrogation company explaining why I thought the fault was with the equipment and not my use. There was no neglect, dangerous use or any application outside what a bulldozer is normally used for. Anyway the subrogation company
seems to have dropped the case -- at least I have heard from them for about a year. However the dealer keeps billing me for the 1000 deductible and I am getting annoyed. Is there any way to get the dealer off my back?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I suggest you write him and tell him that you do not now, nor ever owe anything. That the matter was not your fault as you explained to the insurance company. And that if he insists on sending you an invoice, you are now demanding a Verification of the Debt.

Tell him you are not going to pay it and stop harassing you.