LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My boyfriend is separated from s wife and going through a

Customer Question

My boyfriend is separated from his wife and going through a divorce. He pays all of their bills, including the cell phone bill. He lost the account number and he recently had a friend call and give his wife details so that he could get the number and take his line off of that bill because she can still track him. The telephone company made him change the password. He has no malicious intent. He only wants to get cheaper rates on his phone and also not be tracked by his ex. How serious is this and can he do anything to protect itself or his friend if it is a problem
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. How can she track him? Also, did he provide her with the new password, in case she needs to make changes? Also, if he wants cheaper rates, has he looked at other plans with other companies?

It is not uncommon for AT&T to only allow the primary account holder to access the account, for any changes. Even though his intent was to simply transfer his number and distance himself from her, he could have contacted her or obtained a court order, allowing this to be done, so she could not interfere. Now, if he or his friend pretended to be her and lied and essentially misrepresented who was calling, there could be issues with the court, if she makes a big deal about this. If there is a new password, she needs to obtain it. He can not lock her out now and it will only make things worse. Even though he pays the bills, the account is under her name and she needs access for any changes. It is not something that would necessarily result in any criminal charges but she could address this with the Judge who may then order both parties to not make any changes or withhold passwords or access to account, without the permission of the other party or court order.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!