CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

An old boss that I have had words with through a few emails

Customer Question

An old boss that I have had words with through a few emails over a couple years has files a restraining order that is weak. The sherriff who served me said I really did not have to go this is california. Why would a sherriff give this advice
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

I have no idea why the sheriff would give that advice. It is terrible advice from anyone.

A restraining order against you is a very significant issue (it prohibits you from owning firearms, it shows up on background checks, it will appear in future court proceedings (even if you don't anticipate any now)).

If it is a weak application, show up and defend yourself, and defeat the petition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never threatened harm I just made it very clear how his action made my life very hard. His exhbits presented are 3 emails and reference to texting but does not have the actual texts

The California Courts give some good basic information on how to deal with these matters: http://www.courts.ca.gov/1279.htm.

The basic principle is that the applicant must show an actual threat of physical harm posed by the respondent. If the applicant cannot show this, they cannot prevail in getting their restraining order. See: http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/code-of-civil-procedure/ccp-sect-527-6.html

For more exact help in formatting your response (beyond what is offered by the Court's general guidance), please visit your local law library.