Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

We are married in California and my husband owned s business

Customer Question

We are married in California and my husband owned his business before we got married. It was worth 5mil and we have been married 22 years. how much of the business is mine?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

As the spouse, you should be entitled to the appreciation/increase in value of the property during the marriage. Here's a good link you can read: http://www.thurmanarnold.com/Family-Law-Blog/2012/March/How-Are-BUSINESSES-Owned-Before-Marriage-DIVIDED.aspx

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Thus, you'd have an equitable interest and he'd owe you your portion of the business' increased value that occurred during the marriage. You'll likely need an accounting/appraisal to determine that amount....but you should be entitled to receive your interest.