Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I had an attorney who I retained to help me with my property

Customer Question

I had an attorney who I retained to help me with my property that was foreclosed on. I was paying him on a monthly basis via phone and finally had my hearing in April. He lost my property and felt he could appeal the case which would require a new retainer in which I didn't sign. I decided to not appeal the case and now he is charging me for filing the initial claim to appeal even though he never communicated anything until the day before deadlines and finally withdrew from the case in July. Now he took it upon himself to wipe out my checking account without my authorization/signature/contract. Is this legal for him to do and can I legally quietly record a meeting involving the lawyer, myself and two other people?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard

First, it is NOT legal in Illinois to record conversations unless ALL parties to the conversation consent. All parties must agree to a recording.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Second, if the attorney has charged you and you did not agree to the filing of the appeal, I suggest you can file a fee dispute with the Bar Association.