Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in an apartment complex, we have 4 apt's to each

Customer Question

I live in an apartment complex, we have 4 apt's to each unit. My question is can management lump all of our water bills together and charge each family an amount? We no longer get our separate water bill, it now comes from management and my bill is now 3 times more than it has been in the two years since I've lived here.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You mentioned MI, but you state this is in GA above, if that is not the case, let me know.

Under GA law, the owner of a residential apartment complex may charge tenants for the water they use and water used in the common areas, as well as for the waste-water (sewer) service. The landlord may use metering equipment or use an economic allocation methodology to determine the quantity of water that is provided to each tenant.

The GA law requires that the total amount of the charges to the tenants of such a building shall not exceed the total charges paid by the landlord for water and waste-water service for such building plus a reasonable fee for establishing, servicing, and billing.

See: O.C.G.A. § 12-5-180.1 which states:

(a) The owner or operator of a building containing residential units may install equipment or use an economic allocation methodology to determine the quantity of water that is provided to the tenants and used in the common areas of such a building; and the owner of such a building may charge tenants separately for water and waste-water service based on usage as determined through the use of such equipment or allocation methodology.

(b) The owner or operator of a building containing residential units may charge tenants separately for water and waste-water service, provided that the total amount of the charges to the tenants of such a building shall not exceed the total charges paid by the owner or operator for water and waste-water service for such building plus a reasonable fee for establishing, servicing, and billing for water and waste-water service and provided, further, that the terms of the charges are disclosed to the tenants prior to any contractual agreement
.