Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

WE ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH AT&T AND DIRECTV CANCELLATION. WE

Customer Question

WE ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH AT&T AND DIRECTV FOR EARLY CANCELLATION. WE HAVE JUST CAUSE. WE ARE SENIOR'S ON A LIMITED INCOME.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Sorry...I do not understand the question. Do you have a specific question today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You did not answer my question. I am not satisfied!!! DIRECTV and AT&T are charging us $440. and $!71.00 for early cancellation fee. They broke any contract there may have been by damaging our home and not fixing the damage. We had to fix it and then wait 10 to 12 days to get reimbursed. The damaged happened on the day of installation and it took four weeks
before we had to get it fix. We cancelled because we were very unsatisfied with the service and because we were to get it cheaper (119.00 month) and it turned out to be the same price of the service we had before. I need to know what we can do about these charges... They are sending us to collections.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as your previous contributor had to leave. PLEASE understand this is a back and forth type service with the customer communicating back and forth with the expert so we can make sure the customer understands or we answer any remaining questions for the customer. You do so by using the REPLY button.

Thank you for the additional information in your reply.

If ATT and DTV were not in compliance with your contract, regarding not providing service at the price they guaranteed in your contract, your first step would be to file a complaint with the FL Attorney General Consumer Protection Unit (http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/Main/60FD9BD8FA71A5B185256CD1005EE5C5). Many times they can resolve these complaints for the consumer without any further action.

If the attorney general cannot resolve this breach of contract claim, which also is potentially unfair and deceptive practices for them luring you telling you costs would be lower, then your final option is filing suit against DTV and ATT in small claims court for breach of contract and also unfair and deceptive practices and seek damages from them for the costs you are incurring plus up to 3 times those costs as punitive damages for the unfair practices. You do not need an attorney to go to small claims, you can go there yourself and the clerk will give you the forms to fill out and you need the information on the DTV and ATT office in your area to serve them with the suit.