Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I live in TN. My mother was just admitted to nursing home.

Customer Question

I live in TN. My mother was just admitted to nursing home. She has vascular dementia documented by a doctor, but no court order stating she is incompetent. She had a neighbor who is aware of her dementia. She already took advantage of my mother who does not understand that all her estate monies will go to supporting her stay in assisted living. The woman already took her desk even though I had a note posted that nothing was to leave the house. My mother gave it to her even though we told her not to give anything away. She forgets. We asked this woman to leave my mother alone and stop calling her because she has to be acclimated to the nursing home. She is still calling and my mother told me that this woman is taking her out of assisted living next week. Where, she did not know. We took away my mother's credit cards and will be taking away her check book and only giving her an allowance. I just purchased a trac phone so this woman will not have her number. However, she is showing up at the nursing home and bringing her small gifts in hopes of attracting her down into the lobby. She is not allowed to visit otherwise unless she is a relative or POA. We changed the locks on my mother's home until we can get the estate sale done. How do we keep this lady away from my mother? Can we issue a protective order against her?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

As next of kin, if you have a POA, I suggest if you feel she is harassing your Mother and is going to harm her well being you can file for a Protective Order.

I suggest you first consider writing her a letter and telling her she is to stop any and all communication with your Mother. And if she continues to contact her in any way, shape or form, you will be filing for a Protective Order. Mail that to her certified with a return receipt requested.