Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My grandson created a series of sketches assembled into a

Customer Question

My grandson created a series of sketches assembled into a short play. The dialogue is cut from a Denny's (the fast food restaurant) site. I don't know if it was Facebook, or You Tube, but he took verbatim pieces of comments from Denny's "fans" and somehow assembled a hilarious set of skits that was featured at the Philadelphia Fringe Festival 2 two weeks ago. He is a student at the University of Pennsylvania and received no money himself. The theater department made a small sum to be used for incidentals
I thought each skit could be sold to Denny's as a commercial for Denny's. Is there a legal problem with using this random dialogue. We have been arguing as to who these things belong to. I don't care so much about the commercial value but I would like to know if he violated a law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will be happy to assist you with your concerns.

I am not sure that he violated the law here. Typically the comments made by fans are 'public record' and unless those comments are meant to be private your grandson is free to use them, provided he gives credit to those who made the comments. Furthermore, what he created is technically his own derivative work and so long as he credits those from whom he obtained his information, he is free to use it. And therefore there is no violation unless and only unless those parties object and demand that their information is removed from his sketches.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.