LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I live in West Hartford, CT. I have two dogs, one dog barks

Customer Question

I live in West Hartford, CT. I have two dogs, one dog barks when people walk by my fence. I have tried to correct the dogs barking. My neighbor in the past often complimented me for trying to correct the dog barking and they said they noticed it getting better, and just last week my neighbor said it was getting better. Then just this morning my neighbor cam over and out of the blue said the barking is driving them nuts, they are thinking of selling there house.
I never let my dog bark excessively, he does bark, but I am always outside with him and try to correct it.
I am afraid they my try to take some type legal action, what could they do?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. It would be hard for them to take action, if you are following the law and legally allowed to maintain the dogs. You have a legal right to use and enjoy your property as you see fit. As long as the barking is not excessive or during the night or early in the morning where it could possible be viewed as a disturbance, it is something which they have to deal with. As you shared, you are outside with the dogs and correct the behavior when they bark. You do not leave then outside unattended. If you wanted to, you could simply place a muzzle over the mouth of the barking dog, to stop this and take it off when they come inside. I have two dogs myself and go through the same thing, so I completely understand what you are going through.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!