Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I'm eighty years old, very poor health and would like to

Customer Question

I'm eighty years old, very poor health and would like to leave on my own terms. Mind and body appear in good shape, I'm just tired of living. I don't want an autopsy or to be embalmed. Anyway I can get out of it?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information for your educational purposes only;

(B) No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with a JA expert;

(C) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney of your choice in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given by a JA expert;

(D) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(E) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then please know that I make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you accept, understand and agree to these terms.

ANSWER:

CA laws do exist that require embalming if your body is shipped to any locale via a commercial carrier. The regulations also require a body to be embalmed or refrigerated if final disposition will not occur within 24 hours. There is an exception for families conducting home funerals. Here is the law. You need to put in your Will that you do not want to be embalmed.

California law requires the Medical Examiner/Coroner to investigate deaths that occur from unknown causes or under suspicious circumstances. The decision about what deaths should be investigated is made by the Medical Examiner. Not all deaths require a legal investigation and thus no autopsy would be performed. But this is really out of your hands because it depends on the cause of death.

See CALIFORNIA GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 27491 here.

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.