Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Civil case - pre-trail conference. What to expect without

Customer Question

Civil case - pre-trail conference. What to expect without legal representation?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. A pre-trial conference is a "touching base" of the parties. The purpose of a pretrial conference is to touch base on any outstanding issues (such as issues with discovery, a request for longer discovery period, moving trial date, list of witnesses, simplification of any issues to be presented at trial, possibly another order to mediate, timetable for submission of trial evidence, etc). It is not a "proceeding" in the formal sense of the word, and often, is done in a very relaxed setting.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the Plaintiff try to settle at a pre-trail? Should a person admit they owe a debt. It is a student loan in which I was to receive Tuition assistant for low Income and all I need to turn in was a copy of an old W-2, but they wanted my parents Income Statement and I don't deal with them at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The representing attorney have provided in discovery documents of the: accounting amount owed totaling $14,000, but nothing concerning the actual tuition loan documents that I may have signed outlining any terms and condition.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Will the Plaintiff try to settle at a pre-trail?

They do not have to settle or try to settle, but, they may if they want to. This happens.

Should a person admit they owe a debt. It is a student loan in which I was to receive Tuition assistant for low Income and all I need to turn in was a copy of an old W-2, but they wanted my parents Income Statement and I don't deal with them at all.

This is your decision. However, admitting a debt in open Court (not mediation, not private negotiation) may lead to the matter simply being ruled in the favor of the Plaintiff then and there. So any admission may be saved for negotiation or mediation (which generally cannot be mentioned/brought up at trial).

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!