Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

When converting paper records to digital records, can they

Customer Question

When converting paper records to digital records, can they be scanned in collections, using only the binder quantity to split the records? (i.e. resulting in a 500 page PDF, rather then individual documents)
Expert:  jessmagz replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Before I can assist you with this, please tell me the make and model of your scanner so that I can check its scanning capabilities.

Please let me know by replying to me below so that I can help you further. A rating is only required when we are finished.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not speaking technically - my scanner will do that job. I need to know if my records will be legally admissible if I scan them as a bulk rather then as individual documents?
Expert:  jessmagz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Your question was filed or sent to the "software" category so I thought you were asking on HOW to scan several single documents into a single multiple page PDF file.

If you are already able to scan to a multiple-page PDF file, but just want to know the legality with the scanned files, I believe I need to move this question to the Legal category.

Please DO NOT rate my service as I was not able to help you with this since I believe this is more of a legal issue and not a technical or software issue.

A legal expert will reply to you and you can leave me answer unrated.

Thank you.

Jess

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The US laws have not really caught up to digital technology, so there are limited laws on this and records retention policies of the individual business are used. So, there is no law stating that the documents must be scanned as an individual file, but as long as you have the documents separated in binders in one PDF so you can access the document you need in the event of it being needed, you may do so. The only issue is for litigation purposes where original signatures are required for the proof of authenticity of the records, unless your contracts state that a digital copy of the signed document will be deemed as valid and legally binding as the original, and in the event they do not, you can scan the records as you state but you need to retain the original documents at least until the statute of limitations period for you being sued over the document has passed. For example, if the document is a contract, then you need to keep the original until the statute of limitations period for a breach of contract suit has passed and then the original may be destroyed.