Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Are cameras permitted

Customer Question

are cameras permitted
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, but if this is a CA employment law question, I will have to opt out in favor of a CA Employment law expert..

.

Another expert should be along shortly to assist.

.

thanks

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

According to the California case of Hernandez v. Hillsides, Inc., S147552 (August 3, 2009)., the following standards apply to a CA workplace. Cameras are allowed, but with the following exceptions and nuances in mind. Employer must:

1. Notify employees and others in the workplace about areas under video surveillance such as the floor, break rooms, etc, in order to reduce any expectation of privacy;
  2. Avoiding the placement of video cameras in locations where video surveillance is prohibited by law such as restrooms, locker rooms, changing rooms, etc - this is not allowed;
  3. Cameras in non-public areas of the workplace, such as employee offices, are allowed if the employer lets the employees KNOW of the existence of the cameras; and finally
  4. Understand that audio recording is governed by a separate set of codes - see HERE.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!