Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I red a roofer and he did not do the job according to the

Customer Question

I hired a roofer and he did not do the job according to the manufacturers specs .I asked him to fix the problems and his fix was a joke. I haven't paid him yet and told him I will pay him when he fixes the problems. Yesterday he sent me a contract letter stating if I don't pay him within 3 days he will put a Lein on my house and charge me 1.5% a month. Do I have to pay him before he completes the fixes I have requested . And if I refuse to pay him until it is fixed can he charge me 1.5% a month.what are my legal options?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Does the contract contain a warranty of labor? What is the nature of the required repairs?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The contractor can file his lien so long as it has been 90 days or less form the last date any work or supplies were furnished.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Your recourse is to sue the contractor for breach of contract and breach of the warranty. That should also result in the court ordering the removal of the lien.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Also, the lien does not last forever must be foreclosed by the contractor within 8 mos of filing or it expires. So, if the contractor does not foreclose it just goes away (the lien, not the claim).

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.