Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

We have been in a five year law suit where we are right .My

Customer Question

We have been in a five year law suit where we are right .My husband is81 and I am 70. They have used every technique to stall. Two insurance co representing HVAC company. Are there any laws to help us against elder abuse with our age?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Please understand that I am not defending the other parties in this instance, however I need to point out that stalling you is not 'elder abuse'. It is unfortunately a very real tactic that all defense attorneys use if they believe that they have a weaker case and are trying to avoid a judgment as long as possible. The fact that they are stalling simply means that they are attempting to do the best job that they can for their clients, as that is ultimately their position, but that is not in any way illegal or criminal. The only solution is to try to move forward as quickly as possible but realistically this is the biggest problem with suing an insurer--they all stall and delay as much as possible, as they try to have you lose your nerve (outlast), lose your ability to sue due to money issues (outspend), and hope you quit or even pass away (outwait), with my apologies to the latter point. Again, this is not a defense, but the only way to move forward is just that, move forward--you cannot sue or force them to go faster due to your advanced age.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.