Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My Father and stepfather live across the street.Ive retired

Customer Question

Hi my Father and stepfather live across the street.Ive retired and am living with my brotherMy dad and and brother and we all get along my Father is blessed to jhave made it to 93 We get along great with pour dad ..but for whatever her reasoning she is making it difficult to see him That was his house before they were married.Can she really keep us off and away..shes changed he dont like her much anymor either what are our rifgts?...thanks
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The answer that I will provide will not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Legally speaking his spouse has the right to bar entry and control access IF the father is either allowing that person to act as his agent (and that person is therefore acting on his behalf), or if the father is no longer legally competent and this person now has guardianship. She herself cannot keep you away if he is competent and can make his own decisions, but if she is caring for him, she can impose such restrictions on you. If she is restricting you, you can file for your own guardianship, or contact the father personally and ask him to tell her to stop blocking access.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.