Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in Pennsylvania a state with State Liquor stores

Customer Question

Hello. I live in Pennsylvania a state with State Liquor stores instead of independent. I have no legal issues now or in the past especially with alcohol (no DUIs, etc...). Due to health issues (pancreatitis) certain family members signed and notarized a letter to the State Stores asking them not to serve me. I am now, as a 45 year old male, refused service at these stores. Legally I am not supposed to go to other states and bring alcohol in to PA, so in essence I am unable to buy liquor. Again, there are no legal issues. Is this legal? If so would hiring a lawyer to dispute this in front of a judge be any help? Thank you in advance for your time.
Gary
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is no civil right to purchase alcohol and in order to have a lawsuit you would need to prove some legal right being infringed upon. Actually, you can legally leave the state of PA and purchase alcohol for personal consumption and bring it back into the state. You just cannot purchase large quantities at one time, only enough for personal use. So you could go to another state to make a purchase as long as you are only bringing back small amounts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no recourse? That seems odd that signatures can stop someone from participating in a legal purchase.

Thank you for your reply.

It is no different than someone with a gambling problem being removed from a casino I am afraid. If there no civil right involved, there is little recourse.