Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

N given a school the right to go across your property to run

Customer Question

n given a school the right to go across your property to run a septic tank line in return they put in the connection for me to connect to the line but now hey are saying if I connect to it have to pay the $4,000 dollar for something hat is already put on my land.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If they have taken your land without just compensation, then they in general have committed a taking without due process contrary to the Fourth Amendment of the US Constitution. However, in this case you state there is a contract and the terms of that contract would be what would control what they have to do for you regarding the connection.

The compensation you receive for allowing the easement across your land can be cash in your hand or the cost of the connection. If you are getting neither and they are making you pay for the connection, then you need to review that contract closely to see what it states because if that contract states you would have to pay for the connection, if you were to sue in court you would not be able to win your case because the court has to honor that contract exactly as written.