John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

Can an employee refuse to partisapate in a uion in a closed

Customer Question

can an employee refuse to partisapate in a uion in a closed workshop place of employment
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

No, Alaska is not a "right to work" state, meaning it is legal for employers and unions to agree that all the workforce is to be in the union and the union is the exclusive agent for those employees. The employee however has "Beck" rights, which means that the employee can refuse to pay a portion of dues to the union for which the union contribute to political causes. To do this you must file a beck objection with your union every year.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.