Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

My company provided me a "Profits Interest Unit Agreement"

Customer Question

My company provided me a "Profits Interest Unit Agreement" and I had questions regarding the award amount I am to receive:
Date of Grant: 7/30/2015
Vesting starts date: 7/7/2014
Threshold Amount: $300,000,000
Total Units: 100
Vesting schedule:
Percentage of Profits interest units:
%25 for the 1st, 2nd,3rd & 4th anniversary of date of grant
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)!

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information for your educational purposes only;

(B) No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with a JA expert;

(C) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney of your choice in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given by a JA expert;

(D) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(E) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then please know that I make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you accept, understand and agree to these terms.

Answer:

From the information you have given it appears that you will have 25 units vest on each of the following dates:

7/30/16; 7/30/17; 7/30/18; and 7/30/19

It appears that your profits interest are based on increases in the future equity value of the firm resulting from appreciation above a threshold amount of $300,000,000.

It appears to say that you get 25% of the increase in equity above the threshold amount based on a pro-rata percentage of how many shares you have vested.

So if as of 7/30/16 the firm's equity increased say $100,000.00 and there are a total of 200 units vested, you would get 1/8th of $25,000.00

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks- for better clarity ..I only have 100 units - it would not increase to 200 will it? If not what is the difference?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

From what you have stated it does not appear that your 100 units will go to 200. Rather, you have to remeber that when your first 25 units of the total 100 vest in 2016; then at that time there are other people who have units vesting too. So you are part of a group of say 200; but it could be 2000 or someother number.