How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29546
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am getting a divorce. job incomes are -2900/mo. me

Customer Question

i am getting a divorce. job incomes are don-2900/mo. me 1400/mo. i get childsupport of 250/mo. and don gets gibson limited family partnership $ of $4,000/mo. Don has a truck of $45,000. I have a car of $12,000. House of $225,000. what is my outcom eof $ in this case.
Don wants to buy me modular home of $38,000 and pay off car for $10,000. is that enough?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


That child support amount sounds low, especially if you have more than one child. And the other numbers are way off. What state are you in?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Is the partnership something that was started before or after you were married?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is stepdad..not his kids.. Partnership was 5 years before me. house was purchased 2 years before me
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. That makes more sense.

You're entitled to half of all assets that were acquired during the marriage. If the total value of your vehicles is 57,000, you're each entitled to half of that. That means, if your husband wants to walk away with a vehicle worth $37,000 more than yours, he'd have to pay you half the difference. If you've been making payments toward the house together during the marriage, you're entitled to reimbursement for half those payments as marital funds. If you did any work on the house to increase the value while married, you're entitled to half the increase in value. Same if you did anything to help the partnership grow.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Spousal support is typically reserved for long term marriages (at least 10 years). What the judge is going to look at is how much money you need to maintain the marital standard of living. So, he'll look at your income and necessary expenses, your husband's income and expenses, and his ability to pay. His partnership income can be considered when determining how much alimony your husband can afford to pay you. But the starting point is what you need to live on.