Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

The plaintiff attorney filed motions for; - MOTION FROM

Customer Question

The plaintiff attorney filed motions for;
- MOTION FOR RELIEF FROM TECHNICAL ADMISSIONS
- MOTION TO COMPEL MEDIATION
This case is beyond belief. We were served with a complaint in September of 2010. The case was dismissed with prejudice in November of 2011 because they did not respond to our discovery requests. The plaintiff filed for a rehearing, but the judge did not respond. Two full years later the plaintiff appealed and won through Kozel vs Ostendorf. He recently filed these two motions. The case is in florida, but we live in NJ.
I cannot find out how long we have to respond to these motions.
P. Dellatore
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unless stated otherwise, you normally have 10 days to respond to these post-answer motions, though you can request a continuance from the court for more time. In order to prevail on a motion for continuance, you need to be able to state legitimate and specific reasons for the request. I have found much more success in seeking continuances when I ask shortly after receipt of a motion. Judges do not like last minute motions or requests for continuances.

So, the time can be extended, but it is likely that you have 10 days from service of the motions to respond and/or file for a continuance.

Please rate my answer positively and let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Best wishes going forward!

Did you have any other questions or comments? I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward with this issue. Thanks!