Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My girlfriend moved here from Az. She is disabled and so is

Customer Question

My girlfriend moved here from Az. She is disabled and so is her adopted daughter. We have gone to low income housing, housing authority,Catholic charities. She'd like to stay away from shelters as her daughter has outbursts of anger My husband and I both got slapped. She is here with me and feels like a burden She gets $800.00 a month What can we do? we can't find a motel apt she can afford
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I understand why you want to help your friend, but it's really not your responsibility to find her a place to live. You have a legal right to serve her with 30 days notice and ask her to move out. If she doesn't leave, then you're allowed to go to court and ask a judge to enter an eviction order. This is allowed even if she doesn't have anywhere else to go (and, contrary to popular belief, a judge can and will evict someone in the winter). You don't have to let her live with you just because she can't afford someplace of her own.

If you want to help her, you can look into whether she might be entitled to Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) on top of her disability benefits. She might also be entitled to some benefits for the child. Talking to someone at Social Security might help her maximize her benefits. You can also direct her to state agencies that offer cash assistance for food, which could allow her to put more of her benefits toward rent. But you have no legal obligation to do any of those things. Those are just suggestions if you want to help.

http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-eligibility-ussi.htm

She may also want to look into state-provided healthcare for the child, because her behavioral problems will only get worse if they're not addressed.