Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

How can I override my mothers decisipn to take my dad off

Customer Question

How can I override my mothers decisipn to take my dad off dialysis and a feeding tube? (she is POA) and my dad is noot on any life support or anythiing. he is lucid and alert.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

If your dad is lucid and alert, he can revoke the POA given your mom. Then, he can make his own medical decisions. Also, he can sign a new Durable Medical Power of Attorney naming you as his POA for medical decisions...and being "durable," this will survive his disability and incompetence. Also, he should sign a "living will/physician's directive" evidencing his wishes regarding these type medical decisions in the event he becomes unable to communicate his wishes. Once these are in place, your mother will have no more authority to make these decisions. If you need a template for any of these, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!