LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I am a private caregiver and someone asked SSN. After giving

Customer Question

Hi. I am a private caregiver and someone asked for my SSN. After giving me the job. Then called and made an excuse and said said the position was no longer available
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What can I assist you in understanding? What is it that you want to accomplish or learn?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can someone do a back ground check with out my permission of my SSN
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Yes, it is quite possible for anyone to do a basic background check on you---looking for things such as criminal record, or your participation in lawsuits in the past, and your permission is not legally required. There are sites on the internet that for a small fee will allow anyone to do a background check on just about anyone---so long as there is basis information known about that person such as name, address, and date of birth.

Your SSN is generally only required to run a credit check on you---but for a credit check, your written permission is required under the law.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did a interview there was no application. In fact I forgot to bring my Résumé with me and day later she offered me a job. I accepted and she asked my full name and SSN. Then calls today. And cancels the position.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I empathize with the fact that the job offer was revoked. That is unfortunate. Unfortunately, that doesn't suggest to me that anything illegal was done.

Just having your name and SSN would generally not be enough information to get a background investigation done with.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug