Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

In a club of 150 members, there is only one non-Caucasian

Customer Question

In a club of 150 members, there is only one non-Caucasian person, who has been an active member for 39 of the dog club's 40 years. She is one of a very, very few who does for the club and not herself. She is the one who does all of the dirty behind-the-scenes work that enalble the club to remain in existence. However, over the past few years, a sect of newer members have been targeting this lone Asian member both verbally and physically. These actions have intensified in the past few weeks to the point that some of us are afraid that something BAD may occur. Because the board of this club is at the center of the issue and AKC, as the parent of all these dog clubs, does not want to get involved, we need advice on what path we should follow to assist this lone Asian target. Thank you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If she is being targeted by the club board because of her national origin/race, then based on everything you said you have tried already, your final option is you would have no choice but she has to sue the club for harassment and discrimination based on her race/national origin and seek to get a court order against them. There is no other way to deal with this I am afraid if the national organization or the board will not step in and stop the behavior. She will need to get a local attorney and file suit against them to stop them and sometimes that is all people like that understand.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the board and their friends who have been bullying and harassing her. They are going to say that its not her race because I have never personally hear them bring up the terms Asian, Chinese, etc. Is her being the only one targeted and the only non-Caucasian in the club enough for it to be because of her national origin/race? And as I have said, the now president of the club has physically pushed the targeted individual, while the targeted individual did nothing in response. If you could respond to this before we need to contact a local attorney, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, being in the State College, PA area, could you recommend someone who is versed in this type of situation?

Thank you for your reply.

they can say whatever they want to say, but if there are witnesses about them talking about her race/national origin, then they can be proven to be lying. So if there are witnesses who testify, that would overcome their claims it is not based on her being Asian.

We cannot make personal referrals to attorneys, but you can use the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com for a local discrimination attorney or general litigation attorney.