Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My attorney was not prepared phase of my trial. Can I change

Customer Question

My attorney was not prepared for first phase of my trial. Can I change lawyers mid trial and how is that looked upon by the presiding judge? We are in DC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or would it be better to hire co-counsel?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

A client has the right to "fire" their attorney at any time during a case, whether it is during a trial or in the initial stages. The client would have to formally terminate the attorney and then the attorney would move to withdraw from the case by filing a motion to withdraw.

.

As a general rule, this would entitle the party to a continuance in the case so they can retain new counsel and get them up to speed with the case.

.

This happens fairly frequently so judges don't take it one way or another. It is just part of the case.

.

But if you have lost confidence in the attorney's ability to handle the case, I don't see any reason for keeping them on the payroll and incurring the additional cost of another co-counsel.

.

.

thanks