Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Is there any low cost way to deliver witness subpoenas small

Customer Question

Is there any low cost way to deliver witness subpoenas for a small claims case WITHOUT me personally delivering them? Could I pay a friend or otherwise have just anyone deliver the summons? I have a few that could potentially be hostile, and some that know me as they are part of this case. Paying a process server or the sheriff adds up, and I'm already close to $500 in the hole for court costs, etc. Thanks for any ideas!
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Florida Rules state the following:

48.021 Process; by whom served.

• All process shall be served by the sheriff of the county where the person to be served is found, except initial nonenforceable civil process, criminal witness subpoenas, and criminal summonses may be served by a special process server appointed by the sheriff as provided for in this section or by a certified process server as provided for in ss. 48.25-48.31. Civil witness subpoenas may be served by any person authorized by rules of civil procedure.
  • The sheriff of each county may, in his or her discretion, establish an approved list of natural persons designated as special process servers. The sheriff shall add to such list the names of those natural persons who have met the requirements provided for in this section. Each natural person whose name has been added to the approved list is subject to annual recertification and reappointment by the sheriff. The sheriff shall prescribe an appropriate form for application for appointment. A reasonable fee for the processing of the application shall be charged.