Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

A friend of mine got pulled over last night ...cop said he

Customer Question

A friend of mine got pulled over last night for speeding...cop said he was going 74 in a 55, but friend said he was going like 65...that is one problem, and the other one is he was driving after 7 which he isn't supposed to be...
His question is, should he pleade guilty or not....he says if he does he will lose his license
He said he got 2 citations, one for the speeding and one for the driving after 7
One was $603 and the other was $143
Can you please advise on what he should do...thank you so much!
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If the actual time of the citation is after 7pm, then he is sunk on that one. It is simply a matter of the clock...if he is prohibited from driving after 7pm and he was cited after that, then there is no defense to that violation unless there was some type of serious emergency, like a trip to the hospital, that would mitigate this.

.

As for the speeding, if he has some type of evidence to fight the charge, like a passenger witness, then he could object to that charge. But without any evidence to fight with, it is his word against the police officer's, and I don't have to tell you how that goes 99% of the time...

.

It wouldn't hurt for him to plead not guilty and take it to a hearing just to see if the police officer showed up because he could move to dismiss the charges since the state couldn't prove its case. Sometimes cops just get busy or decide that they don't want to appear and the charges get dismissed.

.

.

thanks