Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have a theft claim and jewelry (value $13k) on my renters

Customer Question

I have a theft claim for money and jewelry (value $13k) on my renters insurance policy w Safeco. The claim is too small for several attorney's offices I've spoken to so I'm doing it on my own. There are a couple of odd points to my claim. My things may have been taken by my old roommate's step daughter or one of her friends (all of whom just visited the house) and not a break in where a door or window was smashed. I am at the point where I got 2 denials that I easily proved they were not valid denials and had to do a statement under oath. I was so bullied and tormented during those 3 hrs that I want to retract the whole thing. I have now heard that this is nothing new. It's new to me (first claim ever). They asked me about my previous relationships from years ago and phone numbers to my ex boyfriends and now asking me for years of tax returns and other private info that is apparently building character. All of which is keeping me up at night. I was forced to answer yes or no to things I do not even recall. I understand that I can make changes to testimony once and if they send it to me. But I really feel they are stalling, asking for ridiculous things that I am guessing my own attorney would put a stop to. I have heard I can file a complaint against the insurance company. I believe I found the website to do that. But I do not want to drag this on any more. Requesting advice on how to be efficient about it at this point. Thank you in advance. Barbara
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

If you want to file a complaint against the insurance company you can use this link for the CA insurance commission.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you