Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I met someone online I believe they lied about who they were

Customer Question

I met someone online I believe they lied about who they were and after being with them for a year without seeing them I began to give them money the last money was given 6 years ago. Can I sue them
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The answer that I will provide will likely not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. The answer generally depends on where that person is located AND if you can find them if necessary. Simply giving someone a gift, even if under false pretenses, does not grant you a right to sue to get it back, but a contract where the other person agrees to pay you back can be binding. But that is where location comes into play--if this took place in Delaware, then in Delaware the statute of limitations on a written agreement is 3 years from the date the contract was signed, as per Tit. 10 §8106. If this took place 6 years ago, it is too late to file suit. But if this person may be located in a different state where the statute may be longer, you may have a basis to pursue.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.