Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I need to find out how I can go about getting maybe a

Customer Question

I need to find out how I can go about getting maybe a partial fee back from a Atty. I hired on my case but fired him due to not having time for me or getting information due to lack of interest with my case. I had paid him in full upon taking the case
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I would suggest you raise the stakes on him. You should send him one more letter...a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history as to his failure to represent you timely and competently which resulted in you having to terminate him as your lawyer, and demand he refund all or a portion of your money plus any damages you have suffered due to his failure to perform within a short specified period of time. Inform him that if your demand is not timely complied with, you will have no choice but to: i) file a formal ethics complaint with the state bar association, and ii) file a suit against him for your damages. Be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as deceptive trade practice, legal malpractice, bad faith and gross negligence causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your actual damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your ethics complaint and your suit. In my experience, this letter is all you will need to send because the lawyer will give return your money, pay your damages, and return your file rather than risk the loss of his license and punitive damages.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!