Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

My company gave my social security number to a coworker,

Customer Question

My company gave my social security number to a coworker, without my permission or even telling me, to do a criminal background check. Is that legitimate or even legal?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I will be glad to Answer your question and all that I ask in return is that you leave a positive rating so that I receive credit for assisting you. You have already placed a deposit with JustAnswer and a positive rating will not cost you anything additional, but without it, I will not receive credit for my time and effort in assisting you, Fair enough ?

ANSWER - If the employee to whom your company gave your Social Security Number does not have the responsibility of ordering background checks of employees on behalf of the company, then giving your Social Security Number and any other vital personal information about you to that individual was illegal and your employer was totally out of line and violated your rights to privacy. But, if this other employee had the responsibility of ordering background checks on employees or prospective employees, then it was within your employers rights to give your personal information to this individual for the sole purpose of doing a background check. I think it would have been a lot more business-like and professional if your employer had told you in advance that they were going to order a background check on you, but if this was company policy, then even if your employer did not act in a business-like manner, it still would have been within the employer's rights to have a background check ordered by the employee who is generally charged with this responsibility as part of his responsibilities.

If I have Answered your question, please be kind enough to leave a Positive rating. You have already made a deposit with JustAnswer and leaving a positive rating will not cost you anything additional, but it is the only way that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you. But without it, JustAnswer will not give us credit for assisting a customer. Positive Feedback and Bonus are very much appreciated, Please feel free to ask any follow up questions for clarification,

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Your answer was very thorough and complete.

Thank you for the positive rating, I appreciate it greatly . If you have questions in the future, please feel free to direct them to me by typing my name at the beginning of your question, like this,

“FOR ANDREA ONLY ……” and I will be glad to assist you.

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA