socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My birth year and my DEATH are posted on Ancestry.com. Since

Customer Question

My birth year and my DEATH are posted on Ancestry.com. Since I am very much alive, the information that I died on Jan 15,2003 was a very disturbing sight. Ancestry.com say they cannot do anything for me. Is there anything I can do to have this false info removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

The simple answer to your question is that you can sue the website for "defamation of character." A reputation injuring false statement of fact made by another to third parties which causes damages is actionable defamation. If the website asserts that you are deceased, and you are not, and the statement damages your reputation, then you have a lawsuit.

You would need to hire a lawyer with experience in defamation actions, but assuming you do, I suspect that the website would correct the error and pay some damages just to make the claim go away, before the media gets hold of the info, and makes the website look like it's engaged in invention, rather than an accurate historical reference.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!