Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

My mom is moving from Massachusetts to RI to reside in

Customer Question

My mom is moving from Massachusetts to RI to reside in assisted living. They have requested we obtain power of attorney over my mom. Would this need to be complete power of attorney? And what state's law would I choose MA or RI?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Since she's going into assisted living, it is likely you will end up needing both legal and medical power of attorney, so it would be best to have both. You would need it to be RI POA since she'll be living in RI.

You can find the forms you need here. http://powerofattorney.com/rhode-island/

If she's willing and capable of signing off on it now, you will want a durable power of attorney. Also, you will want to do this as soon as is reasonable. As with many elderly people, their health can decline quite rapidly, and if they get to the point that they no longer have the capacity to sign a legal document, you can no longer get a POA. At that point, you will have to get a guardianship, which is much more expensive and time consuming.