Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I moved from a house in 2005, the state of michigan was

Customer Question

i moved from a house in 2005, the state of michigan was trying to collect some taxes, the new homeowner held that mail until 2014- i;m know paying back a considerable large fine and payment, I have been filing returns every year and paying all other taxes, the state of mi did not figure out i moved, however the occupant of my previous home should have returned those letters to state of mi, can that person be held responsable for holding my mail, when it caused such a large financial burden
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is no duty on the part of the person receiving mail at the address that has someone else's name on it to return it to sender or to forward it to the recipient. Mail that has not been properly addressed by the sender is not considered misaddressed and it is the liability of the intended recipient to file a change of address card to the post office. The responsibility is on the post office, not the new homeowner, to make sure your mail is delivered to the proper place once an address change card is submitted.

In order to hold the homeowner liable, there first has to be a legal duty, and as there is no legal duty imposed on them to forward your mail or return it to sender, you could not sue them to hold them liable.