CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

At what point in a hacking campaign would the FBI become

Customer Question

At what point in a hacking campaign would the FBI become involved in a specific case. My cell phone was hacked early last week. Probably every contact received some form of letter stating a bizarre set of facts requesting money (hundreds.) In the past couple of days a request went to a real investment house of mine requesting a large amount of money, an amount that would wipe out the account. This means to me the level and scope of the hack is quite deep. The advice provided to me is to add change passwords and add more security software. Since the hacker appears to be located in So. Africa and is able to sign on when I do. At this point I would appreciate some specific guidance.
Terry Stambler-Wolfe, Esq. currently in Palm Desert, CA
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

There isn't a specific level at which the FBI becomes involved in these matters, but the best thing you can do to alert them about this situation is to make a report to the iC3 hotline: https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx (iC3 is the internet crime task force made up by the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center, and is the proper authority to investigate these crimes).